The 2013 HIPAA Omnibus Rule raises the stakes for firms. Under the new rules, firms that interact with protected health information (PHI) are directly liable for compliance with the entire HIPAA Security Rule and select provisions of the Privacy Rule.
In this session, a panel that included speakers from Hunton & Williams and Carlson & Wolf reviewed how firms can best respond. Topics included:
- Analysis of key regulation changes that impact law firms
- Explanation of HIPAA Security Rule requirements
- Overview of breach notification requirements
- Assessment of penalties for non-compliance
- Overview of technologies available to remediate compliance gaps
- Best practices for information security